Ye Olde Swimming Hole

current, insightful, yet nostalgic

Monday, April 10, 2006

Day For the Immigrants

Thousands in cities all over the country held rallies today to try to influence lawmakers to draft new legislation that will allow immigrants to become citizens. It's very interesting how this once quiet group is suddenly at the forefront of things.

I personally believe immigrants are crucial to our society, yet also believe they need to do things legally. I hope both objectives can be met and we can live together in peace and without prejudice.

Tonight as I was walking home from work, I passed a hispanic family who apparently were on their way to a demonstration. Wanting to be friendly, I smiled and said "hi." The father responded by yelling at the top of his lungs, "Si se puede!" (yes we can!), which has become the slogan for the demonstration. It was a rude response to my attempt to extend a hand of friendship. I hope and don't think that represents the attitude of most immigrants. We all need to lose our sense of entitlement and replace it with understanding.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home